Re: Minimum install gnome...

David CABATON <cabaton_david@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Hi, i install a woody and after u install gnome with a "apt-get
> install gnome".... but it's a meta package so this line install ALL
> gnome as gnumeric, gnome-games, abi, etc.....
>
> I want to install the minimum of gnome, just the administrator,
> systems tools.... and i after i will install only tools that i
> need...

So don't install the meta-package, and just install the packages that
you do want.  :-)  I recommend 'aptitude' as a package manager
front-end ('apt-get install aptitude', then 'aptitude'); if you type
'/ gnome', aptitude will find the next package in the list with
'gnome' in its name, then pressing '\' will take you to the next one.
'+' will select a package for installation, 'g' twice will actually
install marked packages.

Or you could conceivably use 'apt-cache search' to find GNOME
packages, or 'apt-cache show gnome' to see what the 'gnome' package
depends on, if you're really truly allergic to CUIs and insist on
doing things the hard way...

	-- Abra Mitchell