Re: Compiling 2.4.18-BF from apt-get source

--- Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003, Kevin McKinley wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:59:02 -0500
> > Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I want to recompile the 2.4bf kernel, and keep
> the 2.4bf pcmcia
> > > packages unchanged.  When I try an 'apt-get
> source
> > > kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4' I do not seem to get
> the kernel source, only
> > > a 24kB file.
> > >
> > > So, how can I get the full kernel source to
> remake the bf2.4 package?
> >
> > Building kernel image debs isn't like building
> other debs from sources.
> >
> > apt-get kernel-source-2.4.18.
> >
> > Copy /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 to
> /usr/src/linux/.config.
> >
> > Then you can make xconfig/menuconfig and change
> the stuff you need to
> > change.
>
> That being said, then how do you then remake the
> kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
> package?  I could just replace the kernel image
> without telling
> dpkg, but that doesn't seem to be a good idea.
> Life's easier when I don't
> go behind the package manager's back.

After you're make xcondif or make menuconfig, you can
type in:
  make-kpkg clean
  make-kpkg --append-to-version=.010603 kernel_image

All this can be done using fakeroot (or as root user)
The --append-to-version parameter will be used in the
name, directly after the .2.4.18 part
This will create a .deb package (in /usr/src)

Well, I never did this to make a bf2.4 to be honest,
but I am only telling you what I read/heard.

BTW a great doc on this is
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

I hope this helps,

Joris