Graphics card, PCI modem recognition probs in Woody

Hi folks:

I've just installed Woody on a brand-new box and am having problems
getting X and the modem working. I suspect these problems are
connected, and that the AGP card and modem are not being recognized.

General information:
CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
MoBo: ECS K7VTA3/KT300 v.5
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 7500
Modem: US Robotics/3Com 56K PCI hardware modem
Kernel: 2.4

lspci reports:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Via Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Via Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266 AGP]
00:09.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
(rev 01)
00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Via Technologies, Inc. OHCI Compliant
IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
(rev 10)
00:10.0 USB Controller: Via Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: Via Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: Via Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: Via Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3140
(rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: Via Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3177
00:11.1 IDE interface: Via Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: Via Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device
5157

Using modconf I installed the following kernel modules:
kernel/drivers/char/agp
kernel/drivers/pnp/isa-pnp
kernel/drivers/video/radeonfb

When I installed radeonfb it returned:
radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=14300 from BIOS
radeonfb: ATI Radeon 7500 QW SDR SGRAM 64 MB
radeonfb: DVI port no monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port CRT monitor connected
Installation succeeded

I assume it picked up the graphics card.

I also set up XFree86 v.4.1.0 and indicated my graphics card, monitor,
mouse, etc.

Yet when I hit startx it refuses to bring up X Window and gives me the
following error message:

--Snip---
(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP), ATI
Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP), ATI Radeon
VE (AGP)
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
--Snip---
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Modem probs:
Neither wvdialconf nor pppconfig recognizes a serial port. For example
WVdialconf returns:

--Snip---
Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program? Did you
configure it properly with setserial?

I checked the Plug and Play How-To. It recommends allowing the Bios to
handle PnP, so I set the CMOS to "Plug and Play OS: no". I don't have
MS Windows, don't want it, and certainly don't want to install it just
to get PnP working!

The Radeon driver in XFree86 v.4.1.0 may not support the Radeon 7500
card and I may have to grab the x server from "testing" but how can I
do this without a working modem?

Is there any way to get things working without screwing around with
pciutilss or setserial, which are way beyond my understanding?

Thanks for your help.
Steve