Re: InCD Like software

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 10:01:14AM +0530, SRIKANTH NS wrote:
> Hi Listers,
>
> Is there an InCD like program for Linux in which we can copy files to
> CDRW disks like a large floppy ?
>
> Google brought up packet-cd.sourceforge.net in which a patch is given
> to 2.4.10test kernel. One is asked to recompile kernel . I do not know
> that deep to include such support in kernel and recompile it .
>
> Another went to the linux UDF page on sourceforge which says it is the
> patches plus udftools. There is udf-0.9.7.tar.gz which is said to
> contain all these.
>
> I would like to know is there any simple CLI tools like cdrecord or
> GUI tools like koncd for this packetwriting like InCD for windows?

not that I know of - but I applied that packet writer patch to my
2.4.20 kernel and instlled the udf stuff and it all seems to work
fine. It's not that hard if you follow the docs on the pages you
mentioned above.

Once the appropriate kernel things are done I just put a line like
this in /etc/fstab

/dev/pktcdvd0   /cdwriter     udf      rw,user,noauto,unhide

I also added an init.d script to bring the packet writing stuff up and
down on boot and shutdown:

<-- begin script -->

#! /bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/pktsetup
#

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo "Setting up packet device associations"
    modprobe -a pktcdvd
    pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/cdrom
    ;;
  stop)
    echo "Tearing down packet device associations"
#   attempt to umount device if mounted
#   this is going to go wrong if it's in use...
    MOUNTTEST=`df | grep /dev/pktcdvd0 | wc -l`
    if [ $MOUNTTEST -eq 1 ]; then umount /dev/pktcdvd0; fi
    pktsetup -d /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/cdrom
    modprobe -r pktcdvd
    ;;
  restart|reload|force-reload)
    /etc/init.d/pktsetup stop
    /etc/init.d/pktsetup start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/pktsetup {start|stop|restart|reload}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0

<-- end script -->

Now I can just mount/unmount a formatted udf cd as a normal writeable
filesystem. InCD happily works with the disc aswell. The only gotcha
is that it still seems not 100% reliable - I usually check files copied
using md5sum or something because sometimes things get corrupted.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3