Re: /etc/profile no longer used

* Kevin McKinley (ronin2@bellatlantic.net) [030531 13:54]:
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:57:39 -0600
> bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:
>
> > Leandro Guimar?es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> > > 	Perhaps not exactly, but wider: /etc/environment is meant to be used
> > > by all shells, ...
> >
> > Really?  Can someone point me to documentation or standards which
> > describes the use and behavior of /etc/environment?
>
> /etc/environment seems to be an AIXism that's migrating to Linux. Googling
> on "/etc/environment" will get you links to user information at universities
> with AIX systems.

Specifically, it looks like it's used by the pam_env module.  I haven't
done testing to see where exactly its effects are seen, but this makes
sense that the variables specified in /etc/environment get set in all
"logins" (/bin/login, ?dm, ssh, etc.).  Since it's not parsed by init or
/etc/init.d/rc, I'd guess its variables are not set in, for example,
init scripts, and possibly other scripts/daemons that are run without a
user logging in an initiating them (notably, cron (and probably at) do
use pam_env, though).

The only mention I found regarding debian policy was a note from 1999
saying "we have no policy for /etc/environment, and we should."

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/