Re: How do I install KMess?

peted wrote:
I am trying to install kmess_1.2.1-1_i386.deb. How do I install it? When I try apt-get install Kmess, I get a message about it being in the database but no available version and that it may have been mentioned in a dependecy... etc..

I downloaded it from SourceForge.net and saved it to a directory.

I tried this....

dpkg -I kmess_1.2.1-1_i386.deb

Try using a lower case "i" instead of "I" in your command...i.e. "dpkg -i kmess_1.2.1-1_i386.deb" if you want to install it. The capital "I" will provide info on the package.

Reference: man dpkg...:

"dpkg can be also be used as a front-end to dpkg-deb. The following are dpkg-deb actions, and if they are encountered, dpkg just runs dpkg-deb with the parameters given to it:
           -b, --build,
           -c, --contents,
           -I, --info,
           -f, --field,
           -e, --control,
           -x, --extract,
           -X, --vextract, and
           --fsys-tarfile.
Please refer to dpkg-deb(1) for information about these actions."

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-