Re: Help with mixed versions, please

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 04:46:42PM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> read on how to work with Linux fails because of other distros
> proprietary changes.  Debian seems to be the most "Linux-like" of the
> distributions, and the community support, and the package handling
> promise add to the perceived luster... (the ethics seem pretty good,
> too.)

It appears to be the OS of choice for many open-source developers and
documentation writers, that's for sure.

> I followed the discussion you provided the link to below to some depth.
> Opinions are diverging in that discussion, rather than converging.  It's
> useful, and has already added to my understanding.

I noticed that, too, but a lot of the conversation there isn't about
what should be assumed safe, everybody seems to have about the same
opinion there.  A lot of it seemed to be hashing out exceptions for
the experienced (read: developers) that are running stable but need to
pound on stuff in unstable.  Certainly not talking home or production
boxes.

> I'm in a catch-22 situation.  I HAVE to have my computer and components
> working.  I'm looking for work, planning a move from the US to
> Australia, coordinating on issues with friends.

So stick with stable, or with testing, but don't mix the two.  People
have had good luck with testing so far, and it's getting better
daily.  Unstable mostly works, but things randomly break.  Noticeably
right now is that tetex-bin isn't installable and a few packages are
really, really rough cuts still.

> But if I re-install Red Hat, that's what I'll learn about.

Instead of Red Hat, consider Xandros, which is a Debian derivative
oriented towards people making the switch.  You can apt-get upgrade to
Debian cleanly just by changing the sources list if you want to.

> For the next two months or so, I'm behind a gateway/router on a cable
> modem connection.  grc.com says my security is excellent.

Not that many people trust GRC for anything other than SpinRite, and
that's really sort of a specialty product to help deal with Windows
brokenness.

http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=xsane&arch%5B%5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all
http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=xsane&arch%5B%5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all

> I'll also be compiling a custom kernel (2.4.21+ for Sony Clie support),
> and that appears to be handled by kernel-package.

modprobe visor first, you might not have to recompile.

> I have the thought of keeping stable in sources.list, along with the
> sources for the Woody Gnome 2 backport (see link above), and not
> worrying about the Sarge sane stuff for a while.  I've read about using
> "-t testing" for specific packages - that's how I installed the later
> sane stuff.

Well, you can either move entirely to testing or use the woody
backports found with the two apt-get.org searches I posted above.

> Don't let me stop you from telling me what you think I should know,
> though.  "By definition, when you are exploring the unknown, you do not
> know what you will find."

Oh, I don't think anybody was put off.  Actually, it's nice to see
someone follow through for more info.

- --
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user