kernel 2.5.69 won't boot

ok
we installed 2.5.69 and on boot we get these errors

VFS: cannot open root device "344" or hdb4
please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on hdb4

this is the boot part of our lilo.conf:

# Kernel command line options that apply to all
installed images go
# here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and
`kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
#
append=""
# Boot up Linux by default.
#