Re: Test the network

Piero wrote:
I believe I have, after many pains, istalled the network. But I have not installed X window. How can I test if it works?

(My box is connected to my Isp line through a Nat box that cotains a dhcp server).

Thanks,
Piero.

Ping some sites outside your local network. This will probably tell you all you want to know, and can help pin-point the location(s) of any difficulty.

In fact there are several command-line programs that make use of the internet... Lynx, ftp, telnet, traceroute, dig, host, etc. Any of these would work for you, but I think the "ping" program is probably the most useful diagnostic to see if it is working. Other "diagnostics" that I use to locate networking problems are "ifconfig" and "route". These two help find problems on the config and/or setup of your machine(s).

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-