Re: Installing xserver

> Joris,
>
> Thanks for the lead. It's always nice to have some hardware
> detection. Does it build a database so that when new hardware is
> installed, it opens a dialog for you to configure it during the boot
> process?

I don't think so, I've never used it myself. As a student, I rarely buy
new hardware ;-)

[1] deb http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix ./

> The discover is a frontend for hardware detection tools, and you
> mentioned one for the mouse (mdetect) and one for the monitor
> (read-edid). Are there backends for other kinds of hardware, such as
> scsi or a NIC?

you could try knopper's packages[1], but naturally they're all very much
geared towards the knoppix boot process

> Discover can be set up to make the boot process aware of hardware and
> ensure the necessary modules are loaded. Is this meant as a backup in
> case module.conf fails to do its job?

dunno, I always compile everything the machine can use in the kernel.
besides, I trust the modutils package more than discover :-)

> Discover has a friend, which is "discover-data." That seems to be a
> database for common hardware, again to ensure drivers are properly
> loaded. Do you feel it is really necessary or useful?

not really. I rather recognise my hardware by looking at it :-)

greetz,

--
Joris