Re: display manager fails to start at login

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

>>I've installed the driver on my woody system and X works including
>>hardware 3d acceleration.  However there is one problem: When my
>>system starts kdm (gdm, xdm), the xserver crashes with signal 11,
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>Now when I log in as root and run
>>
>>/etc/init.d/kdm start
>>
>>everything works perfectly!  There is no difference in the X-logfile
>>except for the above error message.

> A couple of things you might try; copy the kdm start script in
> /etc/rc2.d to the same name, but with one number higher. This way
> it'll run twice, but by the system instead of by you running it the
> second time manually. Might provide a clue.
>
> Put a script just before the kdm script that delays for a minute or
> two; this might provide a clue if it's time-related like I first
> mentioned above.

Running the script twice doesn't help, neither does waiting.  But I've
found a workaround:

I only have to add the line

export HOME=/root

to /etc/init.d/kdm.  Apparently, that lame kyro-driver somehow
requires that the HOME variable is set and crashes otherwise.  I don't
think that not setting the HOME variable before login is an error of
Debian.

thanks for your help,

Christoph