Re: Mozilla Mail apparently not wrapping lines at 72 characters

* Barney Wrightson (barney.wrightson@dsto.defence.gov.au) [030528 19:25]:
> Mozilla does wrap the text, but it uses the following string in the
> Content-Type header field: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
>
> The format=flowed part allows mozilla to "undo" the wrapping so that
> when you use mozilla to read that mail it fills the width of the screen
> again. So your mail fills the window I use in Mozilla and wraps when it
> hits the edge, but still is wrapped at 72 chars in the quote above. I am
> not sure how it differentiates between an explicit line break and a
> wrapped one though.

When mozilla (or any other format=flowed composer) inserts a "soft line
break", it inserts a space before a newline.  Then, when displaying, and
MUA that groks format=flowed will recognize the " \n"'s and re-flow them
as it sees fit (either to fill the whole window (if there is such a
thing) or to wrap to a certain user-configurable width, or whatnot).

> I am still not sure if I like it or not, but don't worry about your text
> not being wrapped in other peoples MUAs, I am pretty sure it is.

Anybody who doesn't grok format=flowed will see the text wrapped at
whatever it was originally wrapped at (probably 72 chars).  The spaces
on the ends of the lines will probably go unnoticed.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/