What driver for X for Intel D845GEBV2L?

This motherboard uses the i845 chipset and the on-board video is called
"Intel Extreme Graphics controller".  I searched through old posts and
someone said they had luck with the vesa driver. I'm not having any
luck, but I'm not sure it's the driver (I know very little about X
configurations).  Here's the end of the log:

Total Memory: 13 64Kb banks (0M)
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "ddc"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Could this be because I misconfigured the monitor settings? How do I
tell if the problem is with the monitor settings or with the driver?
Also, when I start gdm, I get something similar to the log but with more
info (for example, it says that it discovered a Dell monitor, it's h
sync rate, etc., I think).  Is that information somewhere in the logs
that I'm not looking?

Thanks!

Jen