new? problem with old adaptec 2940UW

I'm new to Linux so appreciate your patience.

This is on a new machine (SIS648-based MB/2.4G P4)
with full complement of CDs and hard drives (2 IDE
hard drives/2 CDs - one read only, one writable), ati
9000pro vid card, etc. and a misbehaving scsi 2940UW
-- thankfully the OS's are installed on an IDE drive!

I've done tons of reading/searching because I have the
well-known adaptec 2940UW reset problem which causes
boot to take 10-15 minutes as it "probes?" and resets
each of the 15 scsi IDs multiple times.  A couple of
things bring me to the list -- First, when I install
the 2.2.20 kernel there is no boot problem.  The
problem only occurs 2.4.xx kernels -- I started with
Suse8.0 but have since turned to Debian 3.0r1.

Here's what I've done based on research:
I have flashed the card bios to 2.20.0 (the latest and
greatest from adaptec site) (did this before my last
install of Debian :->);
I have 'turned off' everything related to
scanning/loading bios in card setup (scsiselect);
I have tried boot parameter aic7xxx-no_reset.

The 15-minute boot problem persists with 2.4.xx except
with the no_reset paramter - that one gives me a
message saying it's loading I20 core and then hangs
hard(no keyboard input, etc. - have to power down to
reboot).  I'm using the version of aic7xxx driver
(6.2.4) that comes standard with debian 3.0r1.  The
only thing I've read about but haven't tried is using
aic7xxx.old.

I'd love to hear a better solution but if aic7xxs.old
is the best (or only) solution I'd appreciate any
pointers on how to force (or fool) Debian into using
the .old driver instead of the default.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary