Re: 'man' too slow

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:20:32PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> It takes quite a long while on my system to open man pages... I did an
> strace on man. The output of strace is pasted below. Notice the
> Timeouts in selects.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is bug #137908 (I thought it sounded familiar, but it took a little
while to find it in my mail archives), and was worked around in man-db
2.4.0-1 after the woody release.

You can work around it yourself without upgrading: run 'find
/var/cache/man -name index.bt | xargs ls -l' and delete any that are 0
bytes long. Also, make sure that you're not running low on disk space in
/var.

Cheers,