gdm, xdm, kdm and wmanager (woody)

What's the way of making gdm and xdm have similar ability as kdm to offer
choice of simple window manager or whole desktop environment (kde, gnome)?
I have tried wmanager, the info pages are empty. According to the
documentation in /usr/share/docs/wmanager by setting some .xinitrc or
.xsession it must work by calling .wmanagerrc. In my case it didn't work, I
had found wmanagerrc-update which created the .wmanagerrc (after missing
amaterus, at least that I noticed).
Any way, kdm seems to have a fairly complete manner of finding the proper
window managers and offering them as choices, which doesn't happen with xdm
and gdm.
Does anyone have any idea or way to bring them to similar functionality?
Something not as update-alternatives --config, since this way offers a fixed
solution. I would prefere a more dynamic one.
Thanks.
PS: By the way, for those that haven't tried it, I would suggest trying pure
blackbox, fluxbox, and so forth. Extremely cool. Some times we get lost in
the kde/gnome thing and miss the beauty of X.