Re: Restrict user to specific window-manage

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:21:38PM +0200, thomas.wallrafen@post.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thus spoke David Fokkema:
> > On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:13:15PM +0200, thomas.wallrafen@post.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
> >
> > But a good system is safe enough to be handed over to guests, isn't it?
>
> Yes, it should be safe enough. But is it a mistake to add one or another
> layer of security (i.e. chroot...)?
> To my mind every user should have least priviliges possible.

Well, yes, that is a possible viewpoint. As a regular user (at work) I
find it very annoying when software is too old or simply not available.
But, since I have to be able to write programs, all possible compilers
are available, and so my home directory is filled with tons (well,
several) of GNU utilities, the (newer) GNU C Compiler, window maker,
gnuplot, mozilla etc. etc. So, if you don't want your guests to be able
to run all sorts of programs, be sure to remove all compilers.
Of course, you already thought about that, ;-)

Well, sorry I couldn't be of any help and good luck with it,

David