newgrp oddities

I su'd into root a moment ago to add my username to another group. However, I'd really enjoy being able to have my group information updated to include that gid without logging out and back in. I tried newgrp, but it asks me for a password (even though I'm listed in the /etc/group file under that group). I've also tried to newgrp to a group I'm already recognized as a member of, but it still asks for a password. Reading through the man, it says it should only ask a password if a) the user has no password but the group does, or b) the user is not a member of the group. If I'm listed under the group in /etc/group, and have a password, why is it prompting me for one (and since none of my groups have passwords listed, I can't enter the "correct" one)?