Re: migrate to new hardware

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:55, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> Dear Debain-Users,
>

> A while back I used an old p166 as a proof of concept for a
> debian/apache-ssl/php4/pear/horde/imp/imap webmail service.
>
> Thing have gone well, but the old hardware is very slow.
>
> What is the recommend way to move the installation to new hardware.
> It will still be a pc, ide drives.  but different motherboard/cpu/memory.
> possible I could use the old nic.
>
> Can I just install the old HDD and expect debian to reconfigure ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt
> --

Yes and No - do you have a stock or home-rolled kernel? Are things like
the sound and graphic and networking cards the same between the two?
Much of the rest *should* be okay, but if you aren't using a stock
kernel, you could find drivers missing. I anticipate that if the monitor
and/or graphic card are changing, X11 will need re-configuring if you
used it (although if this was only a server, you may have left it out.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org