Re: copying DVD to hard drive ... ?

+kenobi wrote:

Dave Selby wrote:

I have 80+GB hard drive free, I have a few favorite movies I like to play in the background and "dip into" I would like to store them on my hard drive and play them from there. Is there a way to do this ?

I tried dd ...

web@debian:~$ su
debian:/home/web# dd if=/dev/hdd of=/mnt/debexp/cdtest
dd: reading `/dev/hdd': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
debian:/home/web# mount /cdrom/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
or too many mounted file systems

No go ... I guess I need something like grip for DVD ?

go to apt-get.org and search for 'mencoder' and 'transcode'

mencoder does it for me !