Re: Linux

> Why not start with the freedom in the first place?
>
> > Of course, if you're highly motivated, or if you have a collegue who
> > will guide you through the initial installation and configuration,
> > Debian is good.
>
> Of all the Linux distros I have tried (which is not many), I find Debian
> is one of the better documented ones, which is very important. apt is
> wonderful, of course. Plus, this list rocks.
>
> I'd recommend any of these three personal favorites (Trustix Secure
> Linux [nice server distro, small footprint], Debian GNU/Linux [which can
> be anything and everything], OpenBSD [simply amazing OS]) depending on
> what OP would want to get out of his 'education'.
>
> Not even worth $0.02, but still... Nico

I have to totaly agree...I used Mandrake 7 as my first romp into Linux...it
was great...but I got board and when I tried to do things in
how-tos...everything in mandrake just broke becasue it was such a hacked
together POS.......I then tried SUSE which was nicer and more stable than
Mandrake but I still could not do the types of things I was looking for...not
to mention I had to pay 4 bucks to upgrade the system....RH 8 came
along...tried it...it was nice...unfortunalty no menu-editor.....so it
sucked....I then tried Debian....oh my...it was the greatest Distro I had
ever tried...not only could I easily install any package I wanted but the
system was set up so that I could compile a kernel or set up CUPS the way I
wanted or get Samba working correctly with out breaking the system....for the
first time I got my DVD player working, CD Burning was a breeze to set up and
I could make the system into a Multi-media master with a few patches to a
vanilla kernel (mandrake and SuSE break easily with out their kernel
patches...never tried it on RH since it was useless to me with not
menu-editor)

I love Debian, and there is no reason for me to go back to Windows as there
was with the other distros....to get something working all it takes is some
reading...some questions perhaps and boom, it works!

Long Live Debian!!!!