Re: Linux

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 22:31, sak ra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to learn Linux/Unix.  Is Debian OS right for
> that?
>
> Thanks,
> SAk

> http://search.yahoo.com

I'm going to qualify what others are saying considerably:

1) How much and what sort of experience do you have with computers?

If it is restricted to recognising it on someone's desk and getting
pretty addicted to Hearts, that is very different from bootstrapping IBM
mainframes via entering binary instructions on the physical control
panel. The former is not likely to be ready without a few books of
reference, the latter may wish to refer to certain reference for the
design differences of the two systems, but might otherwise be okay.

2) Are you the installer/system administrator/only person available to
set up and fix things?

If someone is sitting you down at an installed workstation with KDE or
Gnome ready to go, it is considerably different than going to a box that
you want to dual boot but you need first to repartition without losing
XP, and then do the full install. If you have never installed an o/s
before (not even one of the monthly reinstalls that Windows 9X seems to
require) then the Debian install is, umm, not entirely intuitive. Debian
configuration is greatly aided by understanding the underlying concepts,
but once installed and you have your mind closer to following the
concepts, it may be better than some of the other major Linux
distributions, due to consistency of structure and well documented
configuration files placed where you would expect them. Still, you would
be administering a system designed for multiple users (concurrently)
with powerful industrial quality services - requiring a frame of mind
directed to that level of responsibility.

3) What hardware do you have and how do you plan to use it?

Linux is a very powerful operating system. Gamers require very powerful
systems. Linux, however, as yet is not an excellent platform for games,
as the very design considerations that make it powerful as a networking
system and a multi-user server make it weaker as a gaming platform.
Additionally, other than some vendors that know that much of their
market is likely to be using Linux, vendor support for some hardware is
either weak or slow. The better the printer, the better it is supported
in Linux by my experience (eg. Postscript printers are essentially
supported out of the box. The cheaper of the Canon bubblejet printers
tend to be unsupported or poorly supported, largely because Canon
doesn't offer any support for Linux,) the better the digital camera or
scanner the more likely it is supported, although you will always find
something great but obscure that isn't supported. That said, you are
more likely to find the support in Debian by my experience, due to the
sheer volume of software in its release.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org