Re: wvdial and winmodem

Thanks Dave,
problem is that this is notebook, so i would have to get pcmcia. I am at the moment at Taiwan, where it is absolutely impossible to get pcmcia modem. There are only two, Billionton and Zonet. I talked to Zonet manufacturer, cause they say that their modem worked on RH 7.1, but didn't give me any details. I could buy it on web probably, but I have no experiace with that :-) As for my modem. Probably it is only "Waiting for carrier" but I can hear no noise at all. That would mean that it doesn't work, isn't it? OK I probably give it up and explore web to buy pcmcia.
Thanks again
Petr

David selby wrote:

Petr Šimon wrote:

Hi,
I have spent a week tweeking winmodem with pctel drivers. Two days ago I was begging for help in this forum, then i gave up, and now I am back again. Now my modem seems to work, though it's very unstable. But still I am not sure if it really works! I use wvdial for testing. When I run it it stops on "Waiting for carrier" and then returns only "timeout". What does it mean? does my modem really work? How can I overcome that timeout. I have set country_code and this is my wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = <number>
Username = <name>
Password = <pass>
DialAttempts = 2

Thanks in advance if you can help me. I am new to dialup and I am lost (and tired, ghrr these winmodems)
Pete

I am no expert but here goes ....

When your modem dials your ISP, the ISP modem picks up the line, there is then a whole lot of hissing and "twanging" which most modems let you hear. This is when they are negociating speed, parity etc, ie how to talk to one and other. After this "Carrier detect" happens. The ISP modem has sent a signal telling your modem the link is up and it can start authentication. wvdial is grat at sorting out the authentication automaticly.

The first thing I would check is, is the modem dialling, do you get the "twanging" etc of initial contact. Make sure its not the simple stuff ie dialing correct number !

Hey guys, If Im wrong on any of this stuff, jump in !

From my experience win modems are a world of problems, I struggled with mine for about a year before handing over £30 and getting an external RS232 job. Now its rock solid + improved performance with download speeds I could not obtain with a winmodem.

Ultimately, buy a full hardware one, you will be glad you did.

Dave :-)

.