Re: DNS adress

On Sunday 25 May 2003 09:32, Piero wrote:
> I istalled a dhcp client (dhclient3) in order to let my computer
> interact with a router-switch (Netgear RP614) that contains a dhcp server.
> This seems in order with the instructions from Netgear. Nevertheless,
> when I try to reach any Internet site, I get an answer (helas I didn't
> write it down) that lets me think that its name cannot be resolved. In
> effect, I didn't give any piece of information concerning a DNS server.
>
> Do I have to put it in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Unless the router "propagates" that information (which it should get from your
ISP), you probably have to do so.

> If yes, which address do I have to write there, the default gateway of
> the Netgear box (192.168.0.1), or an address given by my ISP?

Any nameserver will do. If you didn't get a server address when you signed up,
ask your ISP.

> Do I have to put somewhere the address of the default gateway?

What is the output of 'route -n'? (The -n parameter tells it not to look up
names which could take a very long time without a DNS)

Generally, all that information can be handled by DHCP, but you never know
what you actually get ;-)

--
Got Backup?