Re: dpkg -i kernel_image, vmlinuz, and lilo questions

On Sat, 24 May 2003 10:24:25 -0400
Nick Lidakis <nick.lidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

> The docs say that vmlinuz, and vmlinuz.old should be (soft?) links from
> / to the kernel images in boot. How do i make a vmlinuz.old file and
> link it to vmlinuz-2.4.19 in my boot directory?

vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old are symbolic links. Use "ln -s" to create them; see
man ls.

> How do I safely apt-get remove a kernel-image and replace it with and
> earlier version?

Don't. Use "dpkg -P" to remove kernel image packages instead of apt-get
remove. After installing or removing a kernel image package you need to edit
lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.

> Why does dpkg -i kernel-image-x-x-xx replace the the most recent kernel
> image and bump that down to LinuxOLD?
>
> Where can I find documentation on vmlinuz, the system map files, how
> dpkg handles kernel images. I tried looking in man lilo, man lilo.conf,
> man dpkg, and /usr/share/doc/lilo.

Answers to these questions and more can be found here:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

The System.map file is a hex index to kernel functions. It's used mainly for
debugging kernel problems.

> Why are vmlinuz links to /boot, instead of having them in the root
> directory?

Back in the day, kernel images were found in the root directory rather than
/boot. So it's a tradition thing.

I recommend using grub as a boot loader. Go here for an excellent tutorial:

Make a grub boot floppy and learn a little about grub's command line, and
you can use that single disk to boot any Windows, most Linux and several
other operating systems.

Figure out "update-grub" and you won't need to edit a boot configuration
file again.

Kevin