Re: Rebuild dpkg configuration/cache? (urgent!)

On Sat, 24 May 2003 14:45:54 +0100
Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> wrote:
> I have written a couple of times asking for help following dpkg
> failing after a server went down during an apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> The errors start like this when installing ssh:
> Unpacking ssh (from ssh_1%3a3.6.1p2-1_i386.deb) ...
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29. Use of
> uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm
> line 66, <GEN1> line 4.
>
> It looks like some sort of cache value is missing in the dpkg
> database. This problem exists for a number of packages, but not all of
> them. Is there any way of rebuilding the database or reinstalling dpkg
> from scratch without having to rebuild the server?

can't really help but maybe if you try apt-get install dpkg --reinstall,
that should reinstall dpkg. Normally, to rebuild broken parts of the
database one would do an apt-get check. Those are just the standard
commands, I guess. I'm sure you tried them allready but jic.

greets,
Wim