APT/dpkg info file missing !!!

Hi
When was trying to install kdm by "apt-get install kdm" , my system froze and I had to push the reset button. Now I want to get back to gdm (kdm keeps locking up my machine), but I get the following message: "dpkg: failed to open package info file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No such file or directory
 E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

Does it mean I have to reinstall dpkg (which I do not know how) ?

Thanks
Hamid