Re: [DEB-USER] Re: M$ licenses Unix

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 11:20:24AM -0700, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> Not that this is a good arguement but Windows NT/2000/XP are microkernel
> based you know.

They are, but they cheat. The graphics subsystem (which usually is one
of the least stable subsystems in an OS) was too slow in NT 3.51, so
they put in in the kernel from NT4 on. This means they have the
disadvantages of a microkernel combined with the disadvantages of a
monolithic kernel.

> Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe that wasn't a good point to bring
> up... :-)

too late :-)

Frank