Re: fake smtp setup?

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:06:27AM +0530, Sharninder Singh-662 wrote:

> > is there a way to setup a fake smtp server so that any mail sent to it is
> > accepted and dropped?
>
> what's the point of such a setup. u would be wasting your bandwidth anyways.
> Still if u wanna do this ... all i can think of rite now is to accept all
> the mail, pass it on to a dummy account and then use a script run through
> cron to delete the dummy users mail spool file every few minutes.

I'm also at a bit of a loss as to *why* you would want to do this, but
hey...  that's the OP's problem, not mine.

If you *are* going to do this thing:

Wouldn't it be more elegant to have the dummy account's .forward file set
up to dump the mail to /dev/null as it arrives?
Then, if you want to do some kind of analysis of the messages before
'disappearing' them, you could have procmail pipe them through your
analysis script -- *then* off to /dev/null.

	Cheers!