Re: Doubling 100MBit ethernet by splitting the cable

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 01:13:36AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 05:35:52PM +0200, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> > Long time ago I've read that 100mbit ethernet uses only 2 pairs
> > which leaves half of wires unused and thus when there's such a
> > need - these can be used to create second 100mbit connection
> > on the same cable (and connect second computer w/o the need of
> > another cable).
>
> You're thinking 10Mbps.  100Mbps uses four pairs.

Yes.

If your looking for a cheapish way to double the throughput to a
machine look at port bundling on a good managed switch to two fast
ethernet cards and the advanced routing kernel stuff.

If its just to connect a second computer... well cable is cheap. Really
cheap. Just get more.

YMMV.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington