Re: Why doesn't adduser fix anything?

At 18:39 Uhr -0500 22.05.2003, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
Why didn't adduser work as it was supposed to?

As the others already said you probably didn't login again or use newgrp.

Since I don't like that behaviour (only set group memberships on login) particularly well in many circumstances, I've written a small kernel module that makes it possible to change the group memberships of running processes. So no relogin or even restart of a process is needed, but you have (currently) to apply the included script to each process whose membership should be changed (and it currently also only takes numerical id's). But it would be quite simple to extend the script (or rewrite it in perl) to allow operations like "add group X to each process from user Y" (and if you want, you could even write a wrapper around adduser that automatically executes the setgroups script upon group changes).

http://pflanze.mine.nu/~chris/linux/setgroups_lkm_0.2.tgz
(or unpacked:
  http://pflanze.mine.nu/~chris/scripts/c_progs/useful/setgroups/ )

Send me your suggestions and improvements.
Christian.