Compiling Samba into a Package

Team:

Samba 2.2.3a is the last release in testing.  Everyone seems to be
working on the 3.0+2.999 package.

Unfortunately, I need Samba 2.2.7 or later to resolve some file-locking
issues.

So, should I:

1.  Grab a 2.2.7 .rpm and use alien to make a Debian Package of it?  If
I do, will it install politely, in the same way as the Debian 2.2.3
Sambe package did, preserving my config, etc.?

2.  Check out the Samba 2.2.7 or later source via CVS, compile it, and
then follow some "as yet unknown to me" process for creating a .deb so
that I can install it with dpkg -i?

What is the Debian Way here folks?

TIA

madmac