Re: Hurd [was:M$ licenses Unix]

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 10:53, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:45:10PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Yes AFAIK QNX is mickrokernel based. But it is mainly used in mebeded
> > devices, not in desktop or server enviroments.
>
> My ex-roommate ran QNX on his desktop.  But then again, it was also a
> 486.  It still ran pretty darn snappy on that and it looked *good*.
> Man, when there's something like that out there, makes you wonder why
> Wells Fargo puts up with Windows blue-screening ATMs regularly.
>
> - --

I remember reading about QNX in the days that I sold computers. It was
then available for the 8088 IIRC (wasn't for anything much more powerful
as the '286s still hadn't made noticeable market penetration.) Over
time, I've had the impression that they have largely looked for whatever
environment that could make enough sales to justify the migration costs,
given QNX's perceived technological strengths.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org