Debian / Redhat's md5sum options differ: which one is original

On debian you can do the following:

md5sum -vc MD5SUMS

but not on Redhat and Mandrake.  I don't know about other
distributions.

Is the -v switch a Debian peculiarity?  If it is, why would Debian
create its own standard in this case making portability of programs
much more difficult?

Regards

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel
      before the LORD our maker."          Psalms 95:6