Casio digicam as USB device: why "mount read-only"?

Hi,

having aquired a Casio Exilim EX-Z3 digital camera, I was glad to be
able to mount it as a USB mass storage device without any probs
whatsoever (woody, kernel 2.4.20). Thanks to everyone involved.

But one question was left unanswered by my searching the docs. Both
important "Casio on USB"-sites,
http://pubwww.fhzh.ch/~mgloor/casio-exilim.html and
http://www.harald-schreiber.de/

say that one should add this entry to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1       /mnt/cam       vfat         ro,noauto,user  0   0

Question:  is there a real reason to mount ro, or did it just slip into
the docs and never got removed? Mounting rw would be much more
convenient, as long as I don't risk fs corruption

Thanks for any help or pointers,
regards, Mario