Re: Authentication Problem

Hi Michael

On (21/05/03 16:37), Michael Wahler wrote:
> on my Debian 3.0 system, I can only log in as user root. Login attempts with
> "normal" user accounts fail -- both local ("Access denied") and remote via
> ssh.
>
> I created the users (as root) with
>
> adduser wahler
> passwd wahler
>
> Why does authentication behave that strange?

I had a similar problem when playing about with configurations and found
that I'd screwed up some of the keyboard settings which meant that the
characters recorded when typing in the password were different from what
was in the /etc/passwd file.  Easiest fix might be to delete the user
and start again but also check your keyboard mapping.

HTH

Clive