Sound Problem

I'm having a problem with sound I can't figure out the answer to. I have a SoundBlaster Live (Value) card, it seems to work with everything, xmms, ogle, tuxpuck, xgalaga, freeamp, gtcd, workman, I can play from multiple sources and they both get played, the sounds you can make gnome play on various events work, I can change levels with gom, I can even pickup sound via the microphone and have it play out the speakers.

The one thing I can't do is record sound. I'm trying to use grecord (gnome-record and I've tried k-record too) but its not working. All I get is an error saying the "sounddevice not ready, check that there isn;t another program running thats using the sounddevice"

What should I look for?