Re: M$ licenses Unix

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:57:05PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 01:37:42PM -0500, Wathen, Metherion wrote:
> > Should I be concerned that one day in the near future Linux
> > will no longer exist as an operating system?
>
> Depends on how you see it. I don't know what the hurd will do, but if I
> understand the problems with the linux kernel correctly, I would say
> that eventually (not the near future) linux will (must) be abandoned
> because it basically has no internal structure. It is a monolithic
> kernel, whereas various studies have shown that a microkernel is far
> more secure and easier to debug and maintain and develop and ...

Except that in practice the Linux kernel has been developed and
maintained much more than the Hurd and has more internal structure than
you think. Academics like to deride monolithic kernels, and they
certainly have their disadvantages, but they have the rather major
advantage that they work and are being developed and maintained well
*now*.

Cheers,