Re: M$ licenses Unix

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 21:37, Wathen, Metherion wrote:
> I read somewhere that Linux was/is based on Minix, where does
> that figure into all of this?

Linux kernel was at first based on Minix. But Linus qiuckly changed
this, to the degree that when releasing 0.01, he publicly stated that
his kernel is free from Minix code.

Aside from this, even Minix was free from AT&T code. So ...

> I realize it may be a Unix variant but to what degree of
> separation?

Linux is a POSIX compatibel Unix-like system. It's story with Unix ends
here.

> Should I be concerned that one day in the near future Linux
> will no longer exist as an operating system?

No.

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri