Re: M$ licenses Unix

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 03:14, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2003 00:49, Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:
> > Can someone summarise this?
>
> MS is licensing the code which it once owned. They licensed Unix from
> AT&T Bell Labs, then portd it to many platforms and called it Xeinix.
> Then the IBM PC came and they sold their Unix business all to a company
> called SCO and SCO renamed it to OpenServer or something like that.
> Now, they are licensing back their code. And with this they are helping
> SCO not go bankrupt, and stand against IBM in the court.
>
> Summary !
>
> Cheers
>
> > DM
> >
> > On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:10:25 -0400 "Antonio Rodriguez"
> > <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> --
> /* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
> Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their
> stomach in hell. Our estimates show that all slashodot viewers will die.
>         --Mohammad Al-Sahhaf, SCO Sopkeman, Former Iraqi information
> minister*/
>
> Aryan Ameri

IIRC, in creating SVR4, AT&T (with Sun's assistance) merged SVR3 (from
AT&T) BSD-based SunOS and some of Xenix to create the
codebase/functionality, in the interest of creating a "unified UNIX."
The result was DEC, DG, Apollo, HP and IBM, among others, created a
rival Unix, eventually intended to be free of AT&T code out of fear that
the SVR4 codebase would favour Sun unduly. The result was OSF 1, which
did ship for at least the Digital Alpha systems. I wonder how "clean
shop" it was, compared to Linux?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org