Perl & spamassassin problems

Has anyone else had this happen?

My system is a mix of testing & unstable, and uses spamassassin 2.53
(spamd) to filter mail.  Both sarge and sid got perl upgrades
yesterday, and now spamassassin is ineffective (it goes through the
motions, but nothing happens), and attempts to use the learning
feature produce "Cannot open bayes_path" messages.  There is nothing
(useful) in Google that I can find.

Before I do a force-downgrade, does anyone have a workaround, or am I
missing something?

Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
From Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast