What is xprint?

I am running testing. Today, just after doing an apt-get dist-upgrade to
get whatever is latest and greatest, I tried to print from Mozilla,
which failed while tryign to access Xprt.

A little investigation showed that I now have a startup script called
xprint in /etc/init.d and I seem (now) to be running an Xprint server of
sorts. I've never needed that before, becuase I am running Cups, and
just having Mozilla print to my postscript/default printer works fine.
THe problem is that since I cannot figure out how to set a default
printer for Mozilla, and the print dialog seems to want the xprint
server to be the default, things no longer work smoothly.

Since I am runnign Cups without any problems, is there any reason why I
need to have xprint? Can I just stop it and remove the startup script,
or even better apt-get remove it? Will Mozilla magically fix itself if I
do that, or am I borked?

Thanks for any thoughts.
nl