Re: Packages debian needs

hi ya tim

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Timothy Webster wrote:

> 1) Oracle installer
> This could be created from the suse or redhat oracle
> installer.
>
> 2) BackupPC
> Currently the best why to backup M$ PCs, IMHO
> At least until someone builds a proper backupfs. If
> you are interest in building a proper backupfs, let me
> know. I would start from reiserfs4. Anyway that is an
> other discussion.

- forget the backup of MS pc stuff...
	- use samba .... and you can backup anything...

a good/better backupfs will be:

- one that can recover a full 100GB system in minutes

- one that the backupfs can be encrypted if needed ...
  since all that backup stuff is stored offsite or
  in somebody else eyes/access

- one that does NOT need e2fsck or equivalent
	( but than gain .. that'd be tough to do to be
	( able to fix inodes if tools didnt exists

	- anybody should be able to use a gui to add
	and delete files into the list of files on disks

- with 1Terabyte sized data subsystems ...  you really
  do NOT want to check the entire disks while you're waiting
  around for the possibility that e2fsck found something bad

- one that keeps a "master copy" on cdrom
	- and it keeps all its inode changes on regular disks

	( multiple copies of that cdrom  .. would be good
	( since one expects to be able to restore/rebuild one day

- you only keep track of changed inodes, after stuff has been
  written to cdrom  and verified  that the cdrom is correct
  compared to what your current set of inode changes will be

- if a 1MB file is only changed by one char, the only
  thing that needs to be backed up is the one block of 512bytes
	and its time stamp metadata

- please create the project ... i'll help testing that backupfs

c ya
alvin