RE: Fingerprinting motherboards

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Jaime Ash wrote:

> > Well, wcpuid for Windows does this detection quite nicely.  Try dumping
> > the contents of your bios out to a file.  Take ...
> How?
> Jaime

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3prpb5%24fl2%40news.rain.org&rnum=5

Take a look at that one.
I did it an easier way, but it's been a few years and I don't remember
what I did at all.

When i do a strings bios.bin from the output,

12/18/00
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
i440BX-W977

comes up, and knowing what Gigabytes W977 is, I know that's the 6BXD
that's in the machine

$12/18/2000-i440BX-W977-2A69KG00C-00

Further confirmation later in the file there, I know from that bios id
that it's a gigabyte off the top of my head, and from there can easily
google what actual bios and revison it is.

It's not simple, but it works

On my P4B533 workstation, it gives

Award Software, Inc.
ASUS P4B533 ACPI BIOS Revision 1008