Re: Trouble with eth0

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Piero wrote:

> > Check out man interfaces for more info.

Take the above advice.

> Thanks, it sounds reassuring. I cannot give static address, though,
> since they schould be obatained dynamically through DHCP: my computer is
> connected to a Router-Switch that contains an embedded DHCP server. The
> thing is that, in order to install a dhcp client, I need to have a
> working eth interface (I believe).
> If you can tell me something more, it will be welcomed.

It's a common problem with an easy solution. man interfaces is your
friend:

   The dhcp Method
       This method may be used to obtain an address via DHCP with
       any  of the tools: dhclient, pump (2.2.x kernels only), or
       dhcpcd. If you have a complicated DHCP  setup  you  should
       note  that  some of these clients use their own configura
       tion files, rather than obtaining their configuration  via
       *ifup*.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu