Re: Duron and kernel-image-2.4.18-k6 - OK?

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:58:50AM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> On a fresh Debian 3.0 stable (Woody) AMD Duron 700Mhz system I just completed:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-k6
>
> Got this after rebooting:
>
> Linux test4 2.4.18-k6 #1 Sun Apr 14 12:43:22 EST 2002 i686 unknown
>
> It seems to be working but this is a new system and I can't really put it
> through any tough paces yet.  Was k6 the right selection for a Duron? STFW
> tells me the k6 != Duron != k7 (Athlon).

Duron = stunted Athlon. k6 = earlier AMD CPUs that were pin-compatible
with Pentia of the same era. I'd be surprised if k6 didn't work, but
you really want k7.

> Is the k6 package providing some additional pcmcia modules? (see apt-cache
> output below)  I have a desktop system with no pcmcia, so maybe the k6 stuff
> doesn't even matter in my case?

The installer program should have asked you at some point, having
realised that your system doesn't have PCMCIA, whether you want to
remove the PCMCIA stuff. So no, it doesn't matter, you can remove it
if you want.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons