Cannot find map file

hi, all,

I just had Woddy 3.0rev1 installed from CD and then downloaded kernel 2.4.20 source from
kernel.org and compiled it. But after booting into the new kernel(xwindow and kde still runs
OK), I find the following in the /var/log/syslog:

May 14 18:28:58 china syslogd 1.4.1#10: restart.
May 14 18:28:58 china kernel: klogd 1.4.1#10, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
May 14 18:28:58 china kernel: Cannot find map file.
May 14 18:28:58 china kernel: No module symbols loaded.
May 14 18:28:58 china kernel: Linux version 2.4.20second (root@china) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Wed May 14 18:20:02 BST 2003

I looked into man klogd and learned that

 As a convenience klogd will attempt to resolve kernel numeric addresses to their symbolic
 forms if a kernel symbol table is  available  at  execution time.  If you require the
 original address of the symbol, use the -2 switch to preserve the
       numeric address.  A symbol table may be specified by using the -k switch on the
 command line.  If a symbol file  is  not
       explicitly specified the following filenames will be tried:

       /boot/System.map
       /System.map
       /usr/src/linux/System.map

Since the recompile section of debian user manual never mentioned a word about System.map,
I didn't think of it's role in booting system until I saw the above lines in man klogd.

I checked the /usr/src/linux folder and System.map is right sitting there. So why is it
not found during booting up?

There is a /boot/System.map-2.4.18-bf2.4 file, which I assume is found when I boot the binary kernel from the CD installation. So how come this can be found and the /usr/src/linux/System.map can't be found during my 2.4.20 kernel boot?

Further if I have more than two kernels, how do I specify which System.map is for which
booting image?

My lilo.conf looks like:

map=/boot/map
#new compiled 2.4.20 kernel
image=/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    read-only
    vga=0x317
#   restricted
#   alias=1

#CD installation binary kernel
image=/vmlinuz.old
    label=LinuxOLD
    read-only
    vga=0x317
#   optional
#   restricted
#   alias=2

Is map=/boot/map the suspect? If so, how come my binary CD-installed
2.4.18 kernel can find it's System.map?

Many thanks,

Wei Wang