Fonts in Icewm, but not elsewhere, messed up

After an upgrade on my Sid box a month or so ago, some of the fonts in Icewm, like on the taskbar and the logout dialog window, have turned into what I can only describe as ASCII chars. I've seen no problems elsewhere. Thinking it was just some sort of instability in the unstable branch, I switched over to KDE temporarily. I've also tried other wm's, like XFWM/XFCE. No problems anywhere except Icewm.

Then a day or two ago I updated another Sid box, and it wound up NOT having the font problems in Icewm. So that made me go "hmmm". Back to the first box I went, and I deleted my ~/.ice* directories. No change. I logged in as a different user; still had the font problems. I created a brand new user; still had the font problems. I did an "apt-get remove -purge icewm", followed by "apt-get install icewm". Still had the font problem. I played with the font entries in XF86Config-4. Still had font problems. I moved XF86Config-4 out of the way and created a new one via "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86". Still had font problems. I swapped video cards (of course, entailing a power-off), created a new XF86Config-4, purged icewm, created a new user, and still had font problems.

OK, where's the problem? Or how do I troubleshoot this further?

Thanks!

--
Kent