Re: 2.4.18-bf2.4 does not sleep

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 14:12, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2003 07:42 pm, Sven Heinicke wrote:
> > Hi got this laptap, that I never want to sleep.  So I compiled my own
> > kernel using Debians 2.4.18-5 kernel sources.  But with that when I close
> > the terminal it sleeps.  But the 2.4.18-bf2.4 does not sleep.  I don't have
> > apm or acpi built in my kernel, but it still sleeps.  What other kernel
> > option might cause this?
> >
> >   Sven
>
> you need to apply the ACPI patch to the vanilla kernel source and compile the
> features in.
>
> I suggest that you go here:
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/
>
> and get the full patch for the 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org.
>
> you get performance enhansing features along with ACPI.
>
> I don't know if the feature you need is implimented yet but that is the patch
> you need to be able to have a chance.

This laptop is a Quantex from circa 1998, I loaded the ACPI module from
Debian's 2.4.20 kernel in proposed-updates and it just froze the
system.  I'm fairly sure it has no ACPI support.

I don't even have power management built into my kernel and it's snooze
city.  When I have a chance I am going to build a kernel with ACPI and
APM as modules and not load them, as that is what is happening when the
2.4.18-bf2.4 does what I want.  I'm not sure why that sounds like
something to try, but for some reason it does.

Thanks for tho reply,

  Sven