I am having trouble getting VLC or Ogle to work

I have all the libs needed for both, but I run into trouble when I tell either
to open the disk.

I get in ogle:

libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.6 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
ERROR[ogle_nav]: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO

and in vlc:

VideoLAN Client 0.5.3 Natalya
[00000162] main input: playlist item `dvd:/dev/dvd@'
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.6 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.6 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
[00000162] dvd input error: fatal failure in ifo
[00000162] dvd input error: fatal failure in ifo
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.6 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.6 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
[00000162] vcd input error: could not read TOCHDR
[00000162] vcd input error: no movie tracks found
[00000162] main input error: no suitable access module for `/://dvd:/dev/dvd@'

I have a symlink from /dev/dvd to /dev/hdc.

I have also noticed that when I tell it to open the disk, the dvd does not
spin.

what could be wrong?

thanks,

Jeremy